Welcome back to CASASC Connections. This is a space where we provide updates on our services, programs and all things CASASC for the month of JUNE 2023.
If you would like to have this update emailed to you each month please send us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’d be happy to add you to the list.
Engagement Strategies Towards Ending Workplace Sexual Harassment – JUNE 20
Looking for ways to support and strengthen your team in 2023 and beyond? We have just what you need.
Research shows that positive workplace cultures lead to healthier, safer, happier, and more productive teams—and help prevent workplace harassment.
Come learn with us on JUNE 20th from 9am-12pm as we lead you and your staff through an innovative, online workshop that teaches skills that help you understand, respond to, and prevent workplace harassment.
This isn’t your average anti-harassment training:
- 3 hours, 100% online
- Mics + webcams off
- Innovative + research backed
- Teaches skills that help you understand, respond to and prevent sexual harassment
VIRTUAL via Zoom
Discounts for #momentsmatter campaign partners and groups of 10 or more. Email email@example.com for discount information.
To register click HERE
First Responder to Sexual Assault and Abuse Training – JULY 18 & 19
We invite you to attend the two-day online First Responder to Sexual Assault & Abuse Training on July 18 & 19. A comprehensive, yet beginner, ‘Identify, Respond and Refer’ training.
This training is intended to build the capacity of community members and is ideal for professionals and paraprofessionals to respond effectively to disclosures of sexual abuse, assault, and harassment.
This workshop will provide participants with education and skill development in the following areas. Upon completion of this training, participants are able to:
- Define sexual violence and where it stems from.
- Communicate responding skills and their appropriate use.
- Describe child sexual abuse myths and misunderstandings about child sexual abuse.
- Identify what the age of consent is in Canada.
- Name the mental, physical, emotional, and relational/social effects in adults who have been sexually abused as children.
- Discuss the concept of triggering events and the impact they have on people who have been affected by sexual violence.
- Define sexual harassment and discuss legal options for those who have been sexually harassed.
- Recall myths and attitudes in society surrounding sexual assault and abuse that continue to allow sexual assault and abuse to exist.
- Name the short and long term physical, psychological and emotional impact of sexual assault and abuse across the lifespan.
- Role-Play how to respond appropriately to disclosures of sexual assault and abuse.
- Explain the attitudes and beliefs that impact the continuum of sexual violence.
- List contributing factors surrounding the acceptance of sexual assault and sexual abuse.
VIRTUAL via Zoom
For more information and to register click HERE.
June is Pride Month in Alberta
June is Pride Month, a celebration of 2SLGBTQQIA+ communities and the progress we have made towards more equal rights for all people, regardless of sexuality or gender identity.
We would like to share a list of just some of the Pride events and other initiatives going on throughout the month of June. Please share with community these opportunities for their involvement.
- June 8 @ 6-7pm – Creating Safe Spaces Online Presentation
Join CASASC and the Town of Penhold for an online, open to public, information session on understanding gender identity.
Free to attend, open to anyone across Alberta.
Register with Amanda firstname.lastname@example.org
- June 10 @ 12pm – Charity Pride Ride @ Breathing Room Yoga + Psycle
35 minute Pride Ride in support of the Red Deer Queer Community Association.
Suggest donation of $20 to attend.
Register at https://breathingroom.punchpass.com/classes/13274656?source=cal
- June 10 & 11 – Pride in the Park (Rotary Park, Red Deer)
A two-day pride celebration organized by the Red Deer Queer Community Association featuring vendors and family friendly activities.
Visit https://www.rdqca.org/events-1/pride-in-the-park-2023-06-10-12-00 for more details and updates.
- June 17 @ 12-3pm – Car Pride Parade (Red Deer)
On Saturday June 17 bring your pride supporting and decorated family vehicle out to the RDQCA’s car pride parade.
Visit https://www.rdqca.org/events-1/car-pride-parade-2023 for the latest updates on location and parade details.
- June 19 @ 10am-2pm – BRIAVE Empowerment for LGBTQ+ people and their allies
Join Care for Newcomers for their free workshop. Lunch will be provided as you learn information on the BRAIVE empowerment model of resiliency.
Visit https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/braive-empowerment-for-lgbtq-people-and-their-allies-tickets-636690667927?aff=ebdssbdestsearch to register and secure your spot.
- June 23 & 24 – “Me + You + Them = US” Innisfail Pride Celebration
Join the Town of Innisfail for their two-day pride celebration.
Visit https://www.innisfailpride.org/ for the latest updates on event details and location.
- June 24 @ 12:30-3:30pm – High Tea with the Queens
Celebrate Pride 2023 in style with a fully catered Victorian-style high tea and entertainment at the Red Deer and Bower Ponds Cronquist House.
Tickets are $30 and are available at https://www.rdqca.org/events-1/high-tea-with-the-queens
- June 30 @ 2-6pm – Queer Prom (Red Deer)
Open to all youth ages 12-18, this prom evening is a great change for youth in the 2SLGBTQIA+ community to celebrate prom in a safe, respectful, and welcoming environment.
Admission is free but youth are asked to register to confirm attendance https://www.rdqca.org/events-1/queer-prom-2023
Police and Court Support – NEW HIRE
We are happy to welcome a new member to our team. Jenifer Ambrose has joined the CASASC team as our new Police and Court Support worker.
Jenifer is a positive, welcoming and respectful individual, we are so lucky to have her on our team, if you’d like to connect with Jenifer email email@example.com
The CASASC Police, Community + Court Support program is your safe place. We are dedicated to being that place where you work through your options, navigate the system, and process a traumatic experience. Our support worker is here to listen and support you while you are considering or navigating the criminal justice system. We are advocates and sources of information for you – that safe guiding presence throughout the process.
Community + Court Support Program is available to anyone who has experienced sexual violence. You don’t need to be a CASASC client.
No matter where you are in your healing journey, or whether you choose to report, the Police, Community + Court Support Program is here to provide:
- Support, information, and advocacy. No legal services or advice is provided.
- Can discuss options for legal advice and provide resources & referrals.
- Information about reporting, the court process & court preparation
- Accompaniment to report and/or court proceedings
- Assistance with filling out forms and applications
- Ask us about the SUPPORTIVE REPORTING option
We invite you to a FREE 45min information session on June 7th and June 28th. Find more details and registration access HERE.
Learning Series Opportunities
Our virtual learning series continues. Please share out with your colleagues and clients, these sessions are FREE for Albertans and share digestible information related to sexual violence awareness and support tools.
Registration access for all programs can be found here May-June 2023 public presentations
- June 7 @ 2pm – Police and Court Support session (45 min)
- June 13 @ 2pm – Introduction to Sexual Violence Awareness (60 min)
- June 22 @ 9am – Supporting Disclosures from children, youth and adults (45 min)
- June 27 @ 10am – Foundations of Consent and Healthy Relationships (60 min)
- June 28 @ 11am – Police and Court Support session (45 min)
- June 29 @ 4pm – Parenting and Sexualized Behaviour Support Conversations (60 min)
July 29 – 2nd Annual Ride for Respect
Mark your calendars for July 29th and join us for our Ride for Respect event. Awareness and fundraising support for victims, survivors and those impacted by Sexual Violence in our community.
- Motorcycle poker rally
- Vendors Market
- Kids zone
- virtual 50/50 – live June 30
- online silent auction with great items like WestJet tickets, attraction passes, restaurants and more will be available – launching June 30
Ongoing updates on event details, location and more can be found at https://casasc.ca/ride-for-respect/
Did you know that 45% of Albertans have experienced sexual violence in their lifetime, that’s 2/3 women and 1/3 men.
Help us create safe and supportive awareness about sexual violence, reduce stigmas and contribute to positive change in our communities.
*if you or someone you know is interested in supporting our silent auction, being a vendor at the event or volunteering please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are interested in either of the volunteer opportunities below email Erin at email@example.com for more information
- 24/7 Sexual Violence Help Line Volunteers – We are looking for volunteers who can take one or two shifts a month on the phone, text or webchat functions of our helpline. Shifts are virtual/remote.
- Event volunteers – Our second annual Ride for Respect event is coming up on July 29th and we will be needing event volunteers to support various functions during the day.
24/7 Sexual Violence Help Line
Call, text or webchat – We provide 24/7 confidential and anonymous support and a friendly conversation with the end goal being information, support and referrals.
Programs + Services
Our programs our available at no cost to all our central Alberta communities and do not require formal medical or legal referrals. We do our best to help reduce barriers to accessing our services including barriers to those in rural and remote spaces.
- Police & Court Support
- Awareness Education
- School-based Education (not sex-ed)
For more information about our programs and services visit our website www.casasc.ca, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 403-340-1124
Stay up-to-date on services, community events and updates by following our social media accounts.
- Twitter @CASASC2
- Instagram @CASAC3
- Facebook @CASASCRD
- TikTok @CASASC5