If these behaviours can’t be managed or redirected by caregivers’ typical strategies, the child/youth may benefit from the help of our team. The SBSP program deals with the issue of sexual behaviour concerns and offers one-to-one counselling support services to youths, their families, and anyone else affected by sexual behaviours.
One of the reasons treatment of sexualized behavior is essential is because of a recently recognized phenomenon called the victim to victimizer cycle. Both male and female victims are at risk for this concern. Many victimizers begin as victims, whose response to sexual abuse can be to identify with the aggressor and to sexually act out in order to cope with their own sense of vulnerability and trauma.
At CASASC, we recognize the potential risk of allowing sexualized behaviors to go untreated. The child becomes at risk for becoming a victim to victimizer; causing harm to him/herself and others. Early intervention and supportive parenting can prevent the cycle of sexual abuse.
What you need to know
- Parent or caregiver involvement is essential
- We work with families and other service providers to meet your needs, and provide the appropriate resources for your family to address concerns regarding your child’s sexual behaviour problem
- There may be a wait list for this program
- There are no fees for this program
- We accept referrals from Red Deer and the surrounding area
Note: We cannot provide services to children or youth over the age of 12 who are involved in a legal investigation about sexually related matters.