Crisis and short-term counselling services are available to those affected by sexual violence. We recognize each individual’s healing journey – and how they respond to and heal from trauma – is unique. Our counselling team consists of counsellors whom offer a wide range of skills and expertise to assist you on your healing journey.
When appropriate, the CASASC counselling team may work in conjunction with other community agencies. Referrals may also be made to other agencies as needed.
- Counselling services are provided free-of-charge.
- Sessions are offered by phone, virtually or in-person, depending on current health restrictions.
- There is a limit of 15 sessions offered to each individual counselling client.
- CASASC makes every effort to accommodate crises as soon as possible. New clients are generally seen within 4-8 weeks.
- All treatment plans are individualized and the frequency of the appointments will be decided between the client and counsellor. The timing of the appointments may also be affected by CASASC current wait times. Each appointment is approximately one hour.
- All CASASC counsellors are experienced in providing one-on-one counselling to those who have experienced sexual violence.
- CASASC is not able to provide childcare during appointments.
Group counselling and experiences
CASASC often offers exciting and interesting groups ran by our counselling team. Survivors of incest support groups, a parenting psycho-educational group, peer support group, an introduction to mentalization and teen survivor groups are just some of the groups we currently host or have offered in the past.
Keep your eyes open for upcoming virtual experiences here on our website and social media channels.
Play therapy at CASASC focuses on supporting children who have experienced or are affected by sexual violence. This includes sexual assault and sexual abuse.
Play therapy is generally used with children between the ages of 4 and 12. It provides a way for them to express their experiences and feelings through a natural, self-guided, self-healing process. Children’s experiences and knowledge are often communicated through play.
Play therapy sessions are 45 minutes to one hour in length and take place in our playroom. The child works one-on-one with one of our trained CASASC play therapists.
- Play therapy is provided free-of-charge.
- CASASC makes every effort to accommodate all clients as soon as possible. New clients are generally seen within 2 weeks of initial intake.
- All CASASC play therapists are certified and trained in therapeutic play.
CASASC offers pet therapy within our offices. Currently, we have two therapy dogs in training on our team.
A therapy animal plays a different role from a service dog and an emotional support animal. Service dogs and emotional support animals assist their individual owners/handlers. A pet therapy animal assists other people with the assistance of their owner/handler.
Pet therapy is a guided interaction between our therapy animal and clients. This interaction generally involves clients petting the animal and conversing with the handler. The pet therapy animal can go into counselling sessions with the client if the handler is also present.